Research and Content
Relevant Recent Research Papers and publications
Theme: Silicon Valley
Dasher, Richard, Nobuyuki Harada, Takeo Hoshi, Kenji E. Kushida, Tetsuji Okazaki. (2015) "Institutional Foundation for Innovation-Based Economic Growth." National Institute for Research Advancement (NIRA).
Kushida, Kenji E. 2016. "The Algorithmic Revolution Driving Business Disruptions: Beyond the Buzzwords." Prepared for the Trilateral Commission Plenary, Rome 2016.
Kushida, Kenji E. 2015. "The Politics of Commoditization in Global ICT Industries: A Political Economy Explanation of the Rise of Apple, Google, and Industry Disruptors." Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade. doi: 10.1007/s10842-014-0191-3.
Kushida, Kenji E., Jonathan Murray, and John Zysman. 2015. "Cloud Computing: From Scarcity to Abundance." Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade. doi: 10.1007/s10842-014-0188-y.
Zysman, John, Stuart Feldman, Kenji E. Kushida, Jonathan Murray, and Niels Christian Nielsen. "Services with Everything: The ICT-Enabled Digital Transformation of Services." Chapter 4 in The Third Globalization: Can Wealthy Nations Stay Rich in the Twenty-First Century? edited by Dan Breznitz and John Zysman. 99-129. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2013.
Kushida, Kenji E., Jonathan Murray, and John Zysman. "Diffusing the Cloud: Cloud Computing and Public Policy." Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade 11, no 3. (2011) 209-37.
Theme: Japan's Political Economy
- Kushida, Kenji E., Kay Shimizu, and Jean C. Oi, eds. 2013. Syncretism: Corporate Restructuring and Political Reform in Japan. Walter H. Shorenstein Research Center.
Theme: Entrepreneurship and innovation in japan
Kushida, Kenji. 2017. "Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Japan: Why Japan (Still) Matters for Global Competition." SVNJ Working Papers Series.
Asakura, Yusuke. 2017. "A Brief Overview of the Current Startup Ecosystem in Japan." SVNJ Working Paper Series.
Kushida, Kenji. "Japan's Startup Ecosystem: From Brave New World to Part of Syncretic "New Japan" ". Asian Research Policy 7, no. 1 (2016): 67-77.
- Kushida, Kenji E. 2012. "Entrepreneurship in Japan's ICT Sector: Opportunities and Protection from Japan's Telecommunications Regulatory Regime Shift." Social Science Japan Journal 15 (1):3-30.
Kushida, Kenji E. 2011. "Leading without Followers: How Politics and Market Dynamics Trapped Innovations in Japan's Domestic "Galapagos" Telecommunications Sector." Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade 11, no. 2: 279-307.
Theme: Industrial Policy
- Kushida, Kenji E. and John Zysman."Industrial Policy in a Global, Digital Age." Japan Spotlight, July/Aug 2013: 35-39.
- Major research report currently underway
Media and other content
Silicon Valley Ecosystem Essential Reading List (Updated September 2017)
Kenji Kushida interview with Fuji Media Group via Lyve: "Bridging Japan and Silicon Valley."
Kushida, Kenji. 2016. "The Algorithmic Revolution that is Transforming Human Activities." Nikkei Business 2/29 Issue.
Kushida, Kenji E. 2016. "The Algorithmic Revolution behind the "Sharing Economy": a Silicon Valley vantage." The Canon Institute for Global Studies.
Kushida, Kenji E., and Martin Kenney. 2014. "Positioning 'Galapagos Japan' in the Cloud World." Nikkei Asian Review.
Richard Dasher talk at the Foreign Correspondents' Club Japan (FCCJ): "Can Japanese Companies Learn from Silicon Valley's Culture of Open Innovation?"
- Kushida, Kenji E., Yuko Kasuya, Eiji Kawabata. 2016. Information Governance in Japan: Towards a Comparative Paradigm. SVNJ E-Book Series.
- Kenji Kushida email@example.com
- Jaclyn Selby firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elin Matsumae email@example.com
- Kanetaka Maki firstname.lastname@example.org